24 Hours in Hell: Update

Two Years Later…

It’s almost two years to the day since I suffered this terrible and traumatising experience at the hands of Camden and Islington NHS trust (CANDI), and I thought it was time to provide an update on what’s happened since then.

It took me quite some time to get over my unlawful detention, in fact I still haven’t recovered. I no longer trust authorities, and I certainly don’t trust the medical staff at CANDI, which is a shame as they’re the only ones who are available to treat me. Instead, I pay to see a private counsellor. The cost of one fifty-minute weekly appointment is more than one week’s Employment and Support Allowance, but I have to do what I can to stay alive.

After the unlawful detention, I requested my medical notes. They took over six months to arrive, by which time I was starting to feel better mentally, and just wanted to put the awful trauma behind me. Then I got ill again. Eventually, after a whole host of other terrible treatment by CANDI, I decided I’d had enough and complained about being locked up against my will as well as a number of other issues.

My complaint was upheld. They didn’t have much choice, really, since their own Mental Health Law officers had told them that they were acting unlawfully. I didn’t receive an apology, unless you count a generic one-liner that tags off the end of all their complaint responses. No indication that they understood the severity of what they’d done, or the impact such an experience might have on someone who is already suicidal and vulnerable.

I submitted a complaint to the GMC about the doctor who’d unlawfully detained me, Sophie Gascoigne-Cohen. They didn’t pursue the complaint as they didn’t deem her to be a risk to patients (mental scars being conveniently less visible than physical ones) although they did say that the matter would be reported to her supervisor. The matter of her refusing to give me information to allow me to give my informed consent to stay on the ward, and refusing to record that I was staying under duress, they classed as ‘administrative issues’ – a cynical misunderstanding of facts if ever there was one.

Did I feel a twinge of guilt, reporting a young psychiatrist and potentially damaging her career? No. I felt an overwhelming sense of responsibility to protect other vulnerable patients from a doctor who sat there and refused to let me assert my legal right to leave the ward, despite me asking. And asking. And asking. Who wilfully role roughshod over mental health law and the safeguards put in place to prevent unlawful deprivation of liberty. I felt worried that a young woman, not long out of medical school, could feel the need to assert her authority to the extent that she cynically deprived me of my human rights. If she showed no compunction in doing this to me when I was quite calm and coherent then lord knows what she might be capable of doing to someone who lacked capacity. There are many, many ways mental patients can be abused by authoritarian doctors, and although pursuing this complaint has been stressful and upsetting, the treatment I’ve received at the hands of Camden and Islington shows that we need to continue holding NHS staff to account to prevent the abuse of vulnerable people.

Finally, I spoke to a solicitor. What happened to me was undoubtedly a legal breach, but sadly there’s little or no money in such a claim, and so they weren’t willing to represent me unless I paid for myself. Since the amount of any compensation would be small, I would be putting myself through terrible stress and expense to pursue this any further.

The only thing I have left, really, is to record my account here in the hope that others who have suffered in a similar way might not feel so alone.

Stay strong and keep fighting.






Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *